Haricots Verts With Brown Buttered Almonds & Caramelized Onions Are Fancy Pants Green Beans by Chef Gigi Gaggero
I love to cook French beans. Haricots verts are delicious and so tender. My family loves this side dish!
- 12 ounces haricots verts, root ends trimmed
- 4 ounces unsalted butter or 2 - 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced julienne or 4 large shallots
- 3 - 4 tablespoons chicken or vegetable stock or white wine
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 springs fresh thyme
- squeeze fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 - 1 cup browned buttered almonds (see recipe below)
Here’s how you make them:
- Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the haricots verts and cook until just tender, about 1 minute. Transfer with a slotted spoon to an ice bath. Drain. Pat dry.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until edges are browning and they become caramelized. Add the garlic and continue to cook an additional minute.
- Add the haricots verts and salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until just heated through and crisp-tender.
- Deglaze the pan very quickly with the chicken stock. Add the fresh thyme and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and toss. Add toasted almonds.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Browned Butter Almonds: In a large pan over medium heat melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Add one 8-ounce bag of almonds and sauté, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant, about 3- 5 minutes. The almonds will brown fast in the butter so be sure to remove them from the hot pan and cool quickly, or you will risk over browning. Dust with salt and pepper while warm.