Fall Baking: How to Make a Moist Applesauce Cake With Caramel Icing! by Judy Thow
a year ago
Moist and delicious, this cake is sure to become a fall family favorite. The leftover caramel icing is great spread on graham crackers!
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups unsweetened applesauce, heated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Here’s how to make it:
- Grease and flour a 9-inch bundt cake pan.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Stir oil and sugar together thoroughly. Add to the flour mixture and blend.
- Stir in hot applesauce.
- Mix in raisins and nuts. Pour into pan.
- Bake in a preheatd 325-degree F oven for 55 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Frost cake when thoroughly cooled.
- To make caramel icing, melt butter in a pan and add brown sugar. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Add milk and beat well. Return to full boil. Cool to lukewarm and add in powdered sugar.