Candy Corn Rice Krispies Treats: A Fun Fall Version of the Classic Recipe by Kathy Widenhouse
Traditional Rice Krispies Treats get a festive fall update with this recipe – and it’s simple! Serve at your fall or Halloween gatherings. Not a fan of crispy rice cereal? Substitute round oat cereal (aka Cheerios).
For the outer yellow ring:
- 4 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal (like Rice Krispies®)
- 5 cups miniature marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- yellow food coloring
For the middle orange ring:
- 2 3/4 cups crispy rice cereal
- 3 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- orange food coloring
For the white center:
Here's how to make them:
- Use nonstick vegetable spray to coat the insides of two 8x8-inch cake pans and the surfaces of three spoons or spatulas.
- Make the outer yellow ring: Combine 5 cups mini marshmallows and 3 tablespoons butter to a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the mixture for about 3 minutes, stirring at 1 minute intervals. Meanwhile, measure 4 1/2 cups cereal into another large bowl.
- Remove marshmallow mixture from microwave. Stir in 2-4 drops of yellow food coloring until the mixture is smooth and fully combined. Pour the mixture over the cereal. Use one of the spoons or spatulas to stir the combination until all cereal grains are covered and the cereal is uniformly yellow. You can even work the mixture with your hands, like pie crust, to distribute color throughout. The mixture will be thick.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake pans. Moisten your hands and use them to create a ring about 1 1/2 inches wide around the outside edges of the cake pans. Work quickly because the mixture is more difficult to mold as it cools. Wash the bowls (or use different ones.)
- Make the inner orange ring: repeat the same process as for the yellow ring, but shorten the microwave time for the marshmallow mixture to 2 minutes, stirring at 45 second intervals. Proceed as for the yellow layer, creating an inner ring that leaves a 2-inch circle in the center.
- Make the white center: repeat the same process with the ingredients for the orange ring but shorten the microwave time for the marshmallow mixture to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring at 30 second intervals. Use the heel of your hand to press the white center in the pan. Then press down all the layers across the surface of the pan so they stick well together.
- Allow the rounds to set for 30 minutes. Flip a pan onto a cutting board and tap it to release the round onto the cutting board. Use a long bread knife to cut the round first in half, then quarters, and each quarter in half. Repeat for the second cake pan.
- Store the treats in an airtight container with waxed paper in between layers.
Photo: Treats made with Cheerios instead of Rice Krispies
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Rice Krispies Cereal $3 & Up
Mini Marshmallows $2 & Up
Yellow Food Coloring $4 & Up
Food Coloring Assortment $3 & Up
Nonstick Cooking Spray $3 & Up
8 x 8-inch Baking Pans $7 & Up
Spatulas $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.