How to Make Sugar Pumpkin Salsa (Think Beyond Pumpkin Pie!) by Gigi Gaggero
3 years ago
It’s pumpkin time – and they’re not just for pies anymore! Here’s an easy recipe for sugar pumpkin salsa!
- 2-3 teaspoons good quality olive oil
- 2 small sugar pumpkins
- 2 organic tomatoes, de-seeded and cut into a small dice
- 1/2 red onion, cut into a small dice
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1-2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Here’s how you make it:
- Carefully cut pumpkins open with a serrated knife. Remove pulp and seeds. Reserve seeds for roasting (click here for recipe).
- On a lined baking sheet, lay pumpkins flesh facing up and drizzle with 1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in a 400-degree F oven, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes depending on size. Poke with a fork to check doneness. (Very slightly undercook to hold shape when diced.) Cool fast to prevent overcooking.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cumin and 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Add cooled diced pumpkin. Toss to coat. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and add additional cumin and lime juice if needed.
Serve with white corn tortilla chips.