How to Make Cacio e Pepe That Tastes Like It's Straight Outta Rome by Donna John
Americans have mac and cheese. The Romans have cacio e pepe ("cheese and pepper"). I was lucky enough to eat this dish in Rome a few years ago. There are no words…
- 6 ounces spaghetti noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese
Here’s how you make it:
- Cook the spaghetti in salted water until it’s firm, not tender. Drain and reserve 3/4 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- While the pasta cooks, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet. Add the pepper and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add in about a 1/2 cup of pasta water and bring to a simmer. Add remaining butter and pasta. Reduce heat to low and add Parmesan cheese. Stir until melted. Add Pecorino cheese, remove pan from heat and stir until cheese melts (use tongs).
- Add a little more pasta water, if needed.
- Pour into a large pasta serving bowl and top with a sprinkling of cheese. Serve immediately.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.