This Zucchini Carrot Citrus Cake Recipe With Lemon Coconut Cream Icing Is What You Need to Bake Today by Chef Gigi
Love carrot cake? Try this version that features zucchini, green apple and citrus.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, unpeeled and squeezed of all its moisture
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 green apple, peeled and grated
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup organic maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 orange, zested
- 3/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, currants or a combination of both (optional)
Lemon Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 - 4 tablespoons unsweetened canned coconut milk
- 1 - 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Here's how you make it:
- Spray a 12-cup bundt pan or a 9x13-inch cake pan generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Mix with a whisk to combine.
- In a separate large bowl mix together all wet ingredients. Combine well. Fold in nuts and/or currents.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients in batches until combined.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for 40 to 55 minutes in a preheated 350-degree F oven until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes, then invert cake onto rack and allow to cool completely.
- To make the icing, beat all the ingredients together. Spread over the top of the cake while on rack sitting in a cookie sheet to catch excess.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Bundt Pans $8 & Up
Organic Maple Syrup $6 & Up
Vanilla $4 & Up
Coconut Oil $4 & Up
Whole Wheat Pastry Flour $5 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
Ground Cinnamon $3 & Up
Ground Nutmeg $3 & Up
Ground Cloves $4 & Up
Allspice $4 & Up
Pecans $4 & Up
Walnuts $4 & Up
Currants $4 & Up
Powdered Sugar $3 & Up
Coconut Milk $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.