How to Make Zucchini Carrot Citrus Cake With Lemon Coconut Cream Icing! by Chef Gigi Gaggero
Love carrot cake? Try this version that features zucchini, green apple and citrus!
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, unpeeled and squeezed of all its moisture
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 green apple, peeled and grated
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup organic maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 orange, zested
- 3/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, currants or a combination of both (optional)
Lemon Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons unsweetened canned coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Here's how you make it:
- Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan or a 9x13-inch cake pan generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Mix with a whisk to combine.
- In a separate large bowl mix together all wet ingredients. Combine well. Fold in nuts and/or currents.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients in batches until combined.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for 40-55 minutes in a preheated 350-degree F oven until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to wire rack for 10-15 minutes, then invert cake onto rack and allow to cool completely.
- To make the icing, beat all the ingredients together. Spread over the top of the cake while on rack sitting in a cookie sheet to catch excess.
Nonstick surface for easy cleanup!