How to Make Carrot, Peach, Avocado & Flaxseed Puree for Your Baby! by Donna John
This puree from "Happy Family Organic Superfoods Cookbook for Baby & Toddler" is an adventure for tiny taste buds. The ground flaxseeds contribute omega-3 (ALA) and polyunsaturated fatty acids. The avocado contains beneficial monounsaturated fats. Intake of dietary fats is important for infant growth.
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 fresh peach, skin on, pitted and chopped, or 1 cup frozen sliced peaches defrosted
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Here’s how you make it:
- Fill a pot with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Distribute carrots in a steamer basket and place in the pot. Cover and steam until tender, 8-10 minutes. Remove the steamer basket from the pot and let the carrots cool.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the carrots, peach, avocado, flaxseeds and ginger. Puree until smooth or until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve immediately. To store, refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days, or freeze in individual portions for up to 3 months.