The Best Mac & Cheese Recipe: Make a Chef's Secret Macaroni & Cheese Recipe in Less Than 30 Minutes by Chef Gigi Gaggero, 30Seconds.com Resident Chef
Yes, my family has a secret macaroni and cheese recipe, but I'm sharing it with you. Cook once, eat twice!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups cream or nut milk
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces white cheese (I like cream cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Here's how you make it:
- Cook macaroni to package directions. Drain and toss with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan on low heat, melt the butter and flour together to make a roux. Mix and cook flour, but don’t brown. This will thicken your sauce.
- Combine cream with the stock. When roux is thick, pour to combine liquids in a steady steam while whisking out the lumps. Add more liquid as you stir to smooth out to a mac ‘n cheese-like consistency. The key is to work fast over low heat. The sauce will get tight and you’ll think you’ve made a mistake. Keep going! Keep consistently whisking at a steady pace. It’s OK to take the pan off the heat if you think it’s cooking too fast.
- Add cheese, salt and spices. Combine well. Adjust liquid if necessary. You will know it’s ready when it coats the back of a spoon and you can run your finger through it and it says clean.
- If you’re using the secret ingredients (red chili flakes and Parmesan) add them now.
- Add the cooked elbow macaroni. Stir to combine. Serve warm.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Elbow Macaroni $1 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Vegetable Broth $2 & Up
Cayenne Pepper $3 & Up
Red Chili Flakes $2 & Up
Nutmeg $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.