Kick your carrots up a notch with this easy recipe. The sugar helps the carrots caramelize, which adds depth of flavor to this family favorite.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- flat-leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
Here’s how to make them:
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add the carrots, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, about 2 minutes.
- Add just enough water to cover. Turn heat up to high, cover and cook about 5 minutes. (Do not add too much water or carrots will be mushy.)
- Uncover and continue to cook over medium-high heat until water evaporates, about 5-7 minutes. Continue to cook a few more minutes to allow carrots to caramelize and begin to slightly brown.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.