Warm up with this creamy wild rice soup! You won't even miss the meat!
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 strips bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 1 can chicken broth
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 soup cans of milk
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- pepper, to taste
Here’s how to make it:
- Bring water to a boil and add the wild rice. Simmer, covered, 50-60 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Fry bacon until crisp in a Dutch oven. Remove bacon and crumble.
- To bacon grease, add the onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the cooked rice and bacon, and simmer, covered, about 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
Variation: Need meat? Add shredded, cooked chicken when soup is almost ready and heat through.