Too Much Basil in Your Yard? Make This Simple Pesto! by Jan Mostrom
I grow basil every summer and often it grows faster than I can add it to my salads! I love making this simple pesto recipe to use some of the great basil. It even freezes so you can enjoy it when the basil plants are all done producing. Here's the tasty recipe I use on pasta, sandwiches and toast!
- 2 large bunches basil (about 4 cups loosely packed)
- 1/3-1/2 cup good olive oil
- Dash of sea salt
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
Here's how you make it:
- Run all ingredients through a great blender or food processor.
- Scrape down the sides and pulse again.
To use on pasta, put into a small bowl and blend in 1 to 4 tablespoons of soft butter. Top pasta with sauce and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. To freeze, put the pesto in freezer containers and spread a thin layer of olive oil on top.