Best 7 Layer Bar Cookie Recipe: No Mixing Needed for These Chocolate, Butterscotch & Coconut Cookie Bars by Kathy Widenhouse
If you've never made 7 layer bar cookies, you're in for a real treat. This delicious cookie bar recipe blends chocolate and butterscotch chips with chopped nuts and flaked coconut. If that's not enough to convince you, here are two more reasons to keep this amazing 7 layer bar cookie recipe in the “go to” part of your recipe file: there’s no mixing (none!) and the bars always look and taste great.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 12 large graham crackers)
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (6-ounce bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (6-ounce bag) butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup sweet flaked coconut
Here's how you make them:
- Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil. Spray the sides of the foil to prevent bars from sticking to the sides of the foil when you remove bars. Cut the butter into the pan. Set the pan in the heated oven to melt butter.
- Remove the pan from the oven when butter is melted. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs evenly over the melted margarine. The crumbs will be absorbed by the butter to create the crust. Gently shake the pan back and forth sideways to allow excess crumbs to be absorbed.
- Layer chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and chopped nuts evenly over the crust. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over bars. Use an angled spatula to spread milk into spots that are not covered. Sprinkle the coconut on top.
- Bake bars 25-30 minutes in a preheated 350-degree F oven until lightly browned. Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack. Lift the foil out of the pan and set the bars onto a cutting board. Peel away foil. Cut the bars.
Store bars loosely covered at room temperature.