How to Make Whole Wheat Bread (You'll Love This High-Fiber Recipe)! by Jo Khalifa
This simple, versatile whole wheat bread recipe is a family favorite. It's a healthy alternative that's high in fiber and more complex than a plain white bread.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons Vital wheat gluten
- 1 cup onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic or 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups firm cheese (Gouda, Swiss, mild cheddar, etc.)
Here's how to make it:
- Combine all ingredients except flour and cheese.
- Add the flour 1 cup at a time until dough is sticky but firm.
- Knead dough for about 10 minutes. (I use my KitchenAid.) Let it rise 45 minutes.
- Add the cheese.
- Divide the batter into two and place each half into a bread pan. Make three slices across the top of both loaves and allow them to rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350-degree F oven (325 degrees for glass pans) for 35 minutes.
Makes two loaves. Be careful with adding more garlic! Garlic can kill yeast.
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.