Easy Shamrock Sugar Cookies Recipe: A Fun St. Patrick's Day Recipe for Families by Kathy Widenhouse
Make these simple Irish shamrock cookies with your kids using a sugar cookie mix or your favorite sugar cookie recipe. This is the easiest St. Patrick's Day cookie recipe ever.
The cookies are easiest made with a package of sugar cookie mix. The cookie mix is blended together with butter and an egg. If you want the cookies green, add a few drop so green food coloring into the cookie batter. The shamrocks are formed by placing spoonfuls of the cookie dough onto a cutting board and cutting it into fourths. Three of the wedges are leaves and the fourth is a stem. Sprinkle with green colored sugar and bake the cookies in the oven until firm.
If you like this fun St. Patrick's Day recipe, here are more to try:
And don't forget to set a leprechaun trap!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: Makes about 2 dozen
- 1 package (18 to 20 ounces) sugar cookie mix
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- green food coloring (optional)
- green colored sugar (for decorating)
Here's how you make it:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, combine cookie mix, butter and egg until blended. If you’re coloring the cookie dough to resemble clover leaves, add 3 to 5 drops of green food coloring and blend it into the cookie dough until the color is even.
- Use a measuring teaspoon to measure packed spoonfuls of cookie dough and turn them onto a cutting board. With a plastic knife, cut each spoonful into quarters. Arrange three of the wedges into a cloverleaf shape, with the points touching. Roll the fourth quarter between your fingers into a stem. Set its tip in touching the center of the shamrock, where the points meet. Sprinkle the shamrocks with green colored sugar or other cookie decorations.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to turn golden. Do not over bake! Allow cookies to sit on the baking sheet for 3 to 5 minutes until they are firm. Move cookies from baking sheet to a wire rack to cool. Let cookies cool completely.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Green Food Coloring $4 & Up
Green Colored Sugar $4 & Up
Sugar Cookie Mix $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.