Food for Cinco de Mayo: Try This Award-Winning Potato Tacos Recipe! by Donna John
Football fans across the country entered Idaho Potato Commission's Tailgating Recipe Contest, but Crystal Schlueter's Tackling Tater Tacos, with spiced potatoes drizzled with a chipotle honey slaw and chorizo crema, won over the hearts – and stomachs – of the judges.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large Idaho potatoes, washed and diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- several pinches salt and black pepper, divided
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 ounces bulk chorizo
- 1 cup Mexican crema
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and julienned
- 1 cup sliced baby bell pepper rings
- 2 minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 2 tablespoon minced cilantro
Here's how to make them:
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the potatoes and onion, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are golden brown.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, oregano, and another pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are crispy around the edges.
- In a small skillet over medium high heat, cook the chorizo, crumbling it as finely as possible. Drain chorizo then allow it to cool completely.
- Stir the cooled chorizo into the crema.
- In a small bowl combine the jicama and bell pepper rings to make the slaw. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the chipotle peppers, lime juice and honey. Toss to coat.
- Top each tortilla with the potato mixture followed by the slaw. Add a spoonful of the chorizo crema and sprinkle with queso fresco and cilantro.
Learn more about this recipe here!