Easy Potato Tacos Recipe: This Award-Winning Potato Tacos Recipe Will Become a Fan Favorite by Donna John
Dinner Gluten-free Grilling
2 years ago
Add to collection
Football fans across the country entered Idaho Potato Commission's Tailgating Recipe Contest, but Crystal Schlueter's Tackling Tater Tacos, featuring spiced potatoes drizzled with a chipotle honey slaw and chorizo crema, won over the hearts – and stomachs – of the judges. We're pretty sure this easy potato tacos recipe will become a fan favorite in your home, too.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large Idaho potatoes, washed and diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- several pinches salt and black pepper, divided
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 ounces bulk chorizo
- 1 cup Mexican crema
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and julienned
- 1 cup sliced baby bell pepper rings
- 2 minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 2 tablespoon minced cilantro
Here's how to make them:
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the potatoes and onion, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are golden brown.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, oregano, and another pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are crispy around the edges.
- In a small skillet over medium high heat, cook the chorizo, crumbling it as finely as possible. Drain chorizo then allow it to cool completely.
- Stir the cooled chorizo into the crema.
- In a small bowl combine the jicama and bell pepper rings to make the slaw. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the chipotle peppers, lime juice and honey. Toss to coat.
- Top each tortilla with the potato mixture followed by the slaw. Add a spoonful of the chorizo crema and sprinkle with queso fresco and cilantro.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.