Oatmeal Cookie Recipe: If Your Kids Won't Eat Oatmeal, Give Them Cookies! by Kathy Widenhouse
4 years ago
If you have a hard time getting your kids to eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast try a simple alternative – easy oatmeal cookies!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup raisins or nuts (optional)
Here's how to make them:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until smooth with an electric mixer. Beat in egg. Gradually stir in dry ingredients into creamed mixture until well blended.
- Mix in oats a little at a time until well incorporated into the dough.
- Add raisins or nuts (optional).
- Scoop cookie dough into walnut-sized balls. Place on baking sheets 2 inches apart. Use the heel of your hand to lightly flatten each cookie.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes until cookies are lightly brown on the edges. Remove cookie sheets from the oven.
- Allow cookies to sit for 5 minutes before using a spatula to transfer them to a wire rack. Cool completely.
Store cookies in an airtight container.