A Career Is a Marathon Not a Sprint: Here Are 4 Tips to Help You Enjoy It by Leann Harris
A career is a pattern of work, accumulated over time, which has a common theme. Think of it as a marathon, not a sprint. Whether you’re 25 or 45, here are a few guidelines to help you enjoy the marathon:
- Get outside opinions. Are you the one picked to lead or are you the “go-to” person for various collaborative tasks? Ask your friends to name one word that sums up your strengths.
- Combine your strengths and skills. Are you a whiz with numbers but just can’t sit behind a desk all day? Do you love to talk to strangers but could never do sales? Pair your strengths with your technical skills and see if something stands out.
- Start even if you’re unsure. Ten years ago, we couldn’t have imagined Instagram, Twitter or crowd sourcing. We don’t know what’s coming in the next 10 years either. Do your research but don’t overthink things. Believe in yourself and take a chance on you.
- Find a mentor. Seek out someone in your field whom you admire to offer you guidance and mentorship. (Then once you’re in a place to mentor someone, return the favor!)
- Adjust your thinking. Have realistic expectations. Plan for peaks and valleys and enjoy the journey (marathon)!
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.